Skip to main content
The Dallas College Libraries
What is Information Literacy?
Information literacy is recognizing when and why you need information, knowing how to find and evaluate it, and using it in an ethical manner.
- Decide What You Need to Know: Students will identify the information needed in order to solve a probelm or complete a project.
- Investigate the Possibilities: Students will use appropriate search tools and strategies to locate the information needed.
- Consider the Source: Students will evaluate search effectiveness and the sources located.
- Put It All Together: Students will create a new product incorporating information from various sources.
- Give Credit Where Credit Is Due: Students will document and cite sources in a format appropriate to the product created.
- Think: Students will value the role of information literacy skills in life-long learning.
Teaching and Assignment Tips